Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    10 years after Sega DreamCast

    interesting little opinion here

    A Decade After Dreamcast - Heavy Harmonies Forums
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    nope, i was always a playstation guy

    but i did buy a n64, but no dreamcast

  3. #3
    Inactive Member timmy_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2005
    Posts
    1,586
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    Yep had a dreamcast and played Phantasy Star Online more than any game ever i think.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

  4. #4
    Inactive Member LPDfanincarolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2002
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    I bought one two years ago at an auction for my then seven year old son. I paid $10.00 for it and 12 games. Well worth the money for what I got it for. Bought several more games at yard sales and such. Never more then a dollar or two. Resold the entire system w/games for $50.00 this past summer. My son is into PS2 and Weii now so dreamcast no longer entertained him.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    Sega Game Gear was also ahead of its time.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    The Dreamcast was pretty sweet in it's day. I remember I bought one when it first came out only because of Resident Evil: Code Veronica. That was one of the toughest of the RE series...and longest. Also, Sega Bass Fishing was a pretty slick game.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ndn_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2006
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    I still have a DreamCast! It's a good little system. Plus, ours is hacked, so we have tons and tons of games burned for it. We even have an NES emulator with hundreds of games!

    Wasn't the vulnerability to hacking the system part of what took the DreamCast down?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    Most underrated system of all time.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 10 years after Sega DreamCast

    I can remember shortly after the Sega Dreamcast first landed and people were always talking about how amazing NFL 2K's graphics and presentation were. I kept hearing stories from different sources about how someone would be playing NFL 2K and someone else would happen to come into the room and think they were watching a real football game on TV. When I first had a chance to play and see it for myself, my jaw dropped as well. I'd never seen anything like it - it was just amazing to see in motion because it was so fluid and felt so natural not only to play but to watch. It's sort of funny to think about it in that way because of how much better today's football games look than what we were playing back then. I think much of it was because NFL 2K's presentation was just so far ahead of the competition at that time.

    Before 2K, we had either purely 2D football games such as the Genesis and SNES Madden series and other spinoffs or very sloppy, herky-jerky 3D football games with poor animation and presentation that often wasn't up to par with real television broadcasts. I think NFL 2K was the first game to really break that "realism" barrier and we've been making strides ever since. I still maintain that the best presentation ever in a football game was ESPN NFL 2K5. The recent Madden titles still don't come close. And to top it all, it was $19.99 at launch. God, if only it were like that right now. Of course, 2K5 is the best, most innovative and fully-featured football game ever made, but that's for another discussion.

    Here is a video example of how 2K was ahead of its predecessors when it was released in 1999:

    NFL 2K footage [Dreamcast]->
    YouTube - NFL2K - Dreamcast

    Madden 2000 footage [Playstation]->
    YouTube - Madden NFL 2000 (PSX)

    The difference between the two is astounding. We were all so used to the incredibly low standards the Playstation had brought forth in terms of true 3D football, when the 2K series arrived on the far more powerful Dreamcast, it was like a breath of fresh air. At that time, I think everyone knew the next generation of video game systems had truly arrived.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •